I Ching by Jhian
(a work in progress)
Several hexagrams and their Judgments and/or changing lines are posted here (see the download button below). Please note that the words stressed with red may be subject of change anytime later. Those stressed with green are new (still one should compare the new translations with the old ones for variations). Phrases written with italics are the author’s (Master Jhian) explanation of the hexagram lines as well as of the Judgments.
- If you don't know what I Ching is you may follow our short introductory course - click here to learn how.
- If you need I Ching consulting assistance please check out our assistance page here.
Copyright. This work is protected by your country’s copyright law. Please don’t put this text on other support online or offline without the prior agreement with the author.
1. Big Yang
1. Here action is not required.
2. Here action is required – one sees or is seen as a Master and must be consulted (as such).
4. Hesitation to leap - no misfortune. This is because you didn’t take any decision yet.
6. You can’t reach that much.
2. Big Yin
1. Counting the actual
4. There’s nothing you should care about (no danger).
3. Difficult at beginning.
1. You need to be granted authority in order to succeed. Otherwise you’ll fail.
4. Wait patiently and in the end success will come.
4. The Dodder
1. When you want to penalize the dodder don’t go too far.
4. You reach the place of blood (trouble) with your enemy. Finally a good issue through retreat).
2. Retreat and be satisfied with a small gain.
4. Retreat and submit to your destiny (Heaven decree).
6. Any gain is followed by an equal loss.
2. You should share the same nature with others in order to continue with your business.
3. Perhaps you shouldn’t lead but follow others.
5. You must accept only what the actual circumstances allow. It’s not up of your choice.
9. The power of the Small (Small Retain)
1. Coming back to your way – is this wrong? Good fortune.
5. He brings richness to others.
6. A certain success has been obtained but it is far for the completeness aimed at.
11. Great Going small and coming great.
6. There’s a change for the worse. All you can do is to blame yourself and wait patiently the change for the better. (About this change see also line 3).
4. Submit to the ruler’s order (to the Heaven’s will) and you'll succeed.
5. Much care is required at the end of stagnation.
6. Stagnation ends.
14. Great possessions (Massing)
1. There’s nothing you should be afraid of.
3. Only a few people may attain/access this goal.
4. One must keep everything under restrain.
6. It is like Heaven supports you!
Note: Another translation of this title is “humility”. But “modesty” is the better choice because it is not so much a matter of humility but of knowing to deal with the actual conditions. Modesty is the conduct of someone who steps back when meeting a great person, that is, an official (see also the lines 5 and 6 final note).
2. Modesty that shows up is much appreciated. (See the note above.)
3. Your merit is acknowledged. Good fortune.
5 It is advisable to use force
6. The use of force (see line 5) should be mode on a local base.
Lines 5 and 6- though this hexagram advise one to behave with humility, that is, with decorum, the last two line suggest the use of the force which seems contrary to the orientation of the hexagram at all. This is because humility alone didn’t succeeded in achieving the questioner goal.
3. Huge satisfaction is missing here.
This is due to the delay.
The nuclear trigrams are Mountain and Water – immobility and danger – which means staying still in the middle of danger which is wrong. But the immobility may lead one to thinking to the delay.
The interpretation here may be: you won’t have a great success due to the delay of exiting from the actual danger. And this is because you can not rely on your self and your correlate (line 4) is not correct.
When changing, this line gave birth to the hexagram of Small gains, where it is said that it is better not to mount but stay low instead. Perhaps we should take this advice as a simple note saying that there is no reason to expect a great success.
17. The Following
4. You meet people who follow their interest. Bad luck. But should you explain in plain words the reason of the joining, there’ll be luck.
1. In order to repair what has been spoiled by you or someone else, it needs a good servant.
2. Here the mess is due to the weakness. Your persistence in repairing it is not required.
3. Here the repair doesn’t lead to much regret.
6. Here is shown someone who doesn’t care anything and just follows his/her own interest. (Note: He may be a saint as well as a sociopath).
19. Working together (Approach)
2. Advancement together.
3. Complacent advancement. Beware.
5. Behave like you were in touch with a noble person. Success.
4. Someone with such expertise should be treated with high esteem.
6. The advancement or retreat, that is, everything here, depends on your choice.
1. You left the gold path and take the hardness of the work upon your shoulders.
2. Showing interest in charming.
3. Perseverance furthers.
5. You aim at too much and receive but a little.
6. All white. That is, extremely simple or without pretence.
1. The bad influence of inferior people affect you as well.
2. One is broke through his relatives.
3. You are counted among the bad doers.
6. The superior one benefits from the actual situation while the inferior ones are destroyed. (There are things that benefit only superior people.)
24. Return (Fu)
25. Innocence/The Unexpected
2. Success only if you have much luck.
4. Remain firm – no error.
5. Don’t take any measure because you didn’t cause the actual situation.
26. Great restraint
2. Stop and wait.
6. You must follow the Heaven’s course.*
(*)The stress here on the Heaven’s course is proof of the I-ching being inspired by the Taoism. About the Heaven’s course/way, which is a Taoist basic theme, I talked in my level 1 of the Taoism initiation course. I suggest you take this course if you wish to understand this basic concept.
1. You don‘t get any benefit even if you make use of your excellence. All in vain.
6. Though you failed, your effort is meritorious. No blame.
1. This is a very dangerous situation. And what is worst is you can’t take any direction like in a trap. Legge: He will by his efforts only involve himself more deeply in danger.
5. Be modest. Don’t push too much.
30. Li (Fire) – Clinging, Depending on
3. The expected happiness is missing here or will not last long.
4. He comes and goes suddenly, without a trace, that is, not a lasting effect.
5. It further one to contend.
6. When you punish the rebellion act only on the chiefs. Leave the rest alone. That is, you should focus on what really matters and leave the rest alone.
Or you should focus and continue by striking all that is contrary to your aim.
31. Influence (Courtship)
3. There’s no persistence. Disaster.
4. The hunt doesn’t have a goal.
5. One should take the lead instead of following.
34. Power of the Great
2. Blessings (limited) from your grandmother.
4. The problem here is your way of doing things – you are too shy or hesitant like a mouse.
6. Going too far. This is embarrassing.
1. Don’t chase what seems it doesn’t fit you. Take another direction instead. No remorse.
2. If you didn’t achieve your aim it is because it’s impossible.
3. Decrease is followed by increase.
6. Increase others without decreasing himself… (he protects his goods).
3. You may be successful through unorthodox (even bad) ways but you wish to be recognized as a man of merit. The advice is to follow the middle path.
4. Here is pictured someone who has a good expertise on important matters. One should follow him.
6. Nobody increases you, but attack instead. You should continue with perseverance otherwise disaster.
2. You are successful but you have to conceal your relationship with someone who doesn’t have to be met.
5. Should you keep your network??? conceal you’ll be successful as by charm. (Here the Heaven is a metaphor of the easy and marvelous success of this line).
2. Perhaps you’ll get a little profit from the actual business. (See also the judgment of hexagram 15)
3. There’s no obstruction.
4. One acquires fame and respect as like being part of the Who’s Who.
6. Advancing without direction - you must continue with perseverance.
4. He is late in providing help for those below. He must behave like those of his rank. Still ultimately successful.
5. In his difficult place he must show much seriousness.
48. The Well
2. They don’t give a shit!
3. The public at large should be announced about this opportunity.
6. Everything is here and offered to the wide public.
1. Not appropriate.
50. Nourishment (Ting).
1. The concubine doesn’t have a suitable position. Still she is able to bear a child. The same in the real life when you meet someone/something which provides both embarrassment and advantage.
2. You have plenty of it. Still you should be cautious about where you go and whom you associate with.
51. Excitement (towards movement)
3. Nobody’s doing here what he/she should (what is right). You must arm against scam.
6. There’s no real (consistent) cooperation between the involved parts.
3. You fail but not because of you.
4. You should meet with people like you.
6. Isolated with your goods and abilities. Disaster.
56. The stranger
6. You failed because of your own error (like a bird which burns its nest).
57. Gentle (penetration)
1. You need vigor and decision.
5. Same as the judgment of hexagram #18, decay.
6. You know what the problem is but you can’t do anything to fix it.
4. Legge’s comment: He brings dissentient partisanship to an end – that is, he leaves struggle and opposition and embraces amity.
6. You should dissolve all the motives that may lead you to hurts and injury.
1. Stay at home – don’t make any move (don’t take any action).
61. Sacrificing captives
[The second character Fu of the hexagram title was generally translated as sincerity or trustfulness (Legge and Wilhelm). The true meaning is captives/booty. So the meaning of the Judgment is: if one wishes to get followers (pigs and fish are, simply, disciples, followers), one should offer something to attract them.]
2. There’s a call for joining from someone like you (you may trust him).
4. The resistances diminish.
5. You gather others through sacrifices.
62. Small in Excess
63. Already passed
1. You should stop.
3. Too much exhaustion like in a war will not benefit the petty (men).
4. Fine clothes will need patches – this is a sign of decay. Caution all day long.
64. Not yet passed
6. Being confident but not too much is the lesson here. (Moderation)
More hexagrams/lines will be posted here soon.
More hexagrams/lines will be posted here soon.
Last update: February 8, 2017